Re: What do you make of this?

From: Egor Starostin <egorst_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:41:45 +0700

> II'm looking for ideas on how to go about diagnosing the SQL*Net waits
> (assuming they're accounting for the different between CPU and elapsed) or
> finding where the rest of the elapsed time comes from.
I think that the rest of the elapsed time comes from the children. Download my profiler (link in signature) and analyze your trace with it. There is a section in output called 'Statements Recursive Relationship' which will show you the children of your 'UPDATE' statement.

> Thanks in advance
> for any suggestions!

My suggestion is to change the logic of COM+ application. It parses twice for every exec instead of one parse for all execs. Note that when you eliminate unnecessary parses you immediately eliminate about two hundreds of 'SQL*Net message from/to clients' roundtrips.

--
Egor
http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/