Re: Are db_writer_processes and disk_asynch_io mutually exclusive on Solaris ? Thanks, rm.

From: Ranko Mosic <>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:07:32 -0400

Quote from metalink:

From: Oracle, Frank Marshall 13-Nov-03 21:38 Subject: Re : dbwn VS asy io

You can not use multiple DBWR's with asynch IO. You turn off asynch_io and use multiple db writers ( up to 10) or you use asynch_io and one DBWR. It is an either or situation.

Also metalink note Note:97291.1 says:
If the application is not very write intensive (or even a DSS system) and async I/O is available, then consider a single DBWR writer process;

More, there was a bug on Solaris in the past: when both db_writer_processes and disk_asynch_io were enabled performance suffered.