Re: Are db_writer_processes and disk_asynch_io mutually exclusive on Solaris ? Thanks, rm.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:12:03 +0000

On 09/09/2005 09:41:37 PM, Lou Fangxin wrote:
> We hit some problem on solaris with multiple db writer, and finnaly set it
> to one, then the database run well.

I'm running with 3 DBWR processes, for more then a year, with async I/O. Slowaris 9, Oracle 9.2.0.5, RAC. My users are storing documents into the database as BLOB's and that is very write-intensive, so I need multiple writers - 1 per I/O controller. No problems. The only thing that is incompatible with async I/O are I/O slaves, which are intended to simulate async I/O. That is explained in the note 97291.1. However, on HP-UX it is not recommended to use multiple DBWR processes and async I/O. This is an old information, from the time that I was working for OXHP, which used to have 4-way OPS (not RAC) system. I remember oracle support guy telling me that it is not advised to use that combo on HP-UX 11.0. It was a brand new system, we finished transition from an old Siemens Reliant Unix to HP-UX on Sunday, 09/09/2001. Tomorrow, on Monday 09/10/2001 I was very busy solving various problems, but everything was successful in the end. I thought that I will relax a bit as of the day after. The day after was, of course, Tuesday 9/11/2001 and the world as I knew it ended that day.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com