Re: What do you make of this?

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:52:27 +0200

Could you please send the entire raw trace file.

Regards,
Dimitre Radoulov

  Hi, all. Oracle10g (10.1.0.4.0) on Windows 2000.

  I have a set of traces that are puzzling. I had the traces done in controlled conditions, with a single user on the database; CPU usage on the DB server was less than 25%. This statement is a good example of what I'm trying to figure out. There's a high ratio of elapsed to CPU on the parse, but not much in the way of wait information--except the SQL*Net message from client. The client is a COM+ application server. No recent changes that I know of on that machine, nor on the DB server itself. I have inspected the raw trace file as well and don't see anything to suggest that the tkprof timing summaries are incorrect.

  II'm looking for ideas on how to go about diagnosing the SQL*Net waits (assuming they're accounting for the different between CPU and elapsed) or finding where the rest of the elapsed time comes from. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

  UPDATE VALIDKEYS SET LASTACCESS = :V00001   WHERE
   VALIDKEYS_PK = :V00002   call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows

  Misses in library cache during parse: 0   Optimizer mode: ALL_ROWS
  Parsing user id: 12492

  Elapsed times include waiting on following events:

    Event waited on                             Times   Max. Wait  Total Waited
    SQL*Net message to client                     381        0.00          0.00
    SQL*Net message from client                   381        0.01          0.51
    log file sync                                   1        0.00          0.00

  Paul Baumgartel
  paul.baumgartel_at_aya.yale.edu