RE: Oracle 6 software download

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:22:52 +0800

Quoting Marco Gralike <Marco.Gralike_at_AMIS.NL>:

> how to deal with UMB, HIGHMEM, EMM etc, It should be do-able. ;-) ;-) ;-) At
> least trying would be great fun.

Aye! The man enjoys pain...

Oracle V4.1.4 didn't need any of that, it ran on 640K quite happy. Oracle 5 and 6 ran on extended memory. Early 5 needed it's own extended memory manager that was shipped with Oracle, late 5 and 6 used the much more ubiquitous and sensible extended memory as specified by Microsoft. It also supported the Quarterdeck extended memory extensions: with Desqview, it was possible to run multiple Oracle databases and DOS sessions - IF you had enough memory and a 486 at least!

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a 5-1/4" diskette drive: not made anymore, I think. 486 boxes are dirt easy to find: they are still widely used by Linux boffins as firewalls.

Sorry, threw away all my pre-7 releases of Oracle all the way back to 4.1.4 three years ago when I moved house. Still have one or two manuals, but I'll be darned if I remember where! (showing my age again...)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto