Re: When to rebuild the index?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:46:05 -0700

I don't have time to read the entire article, so I skipped down to the summary:

   -

    *Academic approach* - Many Oracle experts claim that indexes rarely    benefit from rebuilding, yet none has ever proffered empirical evidence that    this is the case, or what logical I/O conditions arise in those "rare" cases    where indexes benefit from rebuilding.      -

Re the Academic approach: much evidence has been supplied regarding this. I am not going to attempt to rehash it. Look on AskTom. Search for Richard Foote's presenation on index internals.

Re the pragmatic approach: If the users just need a placebo, then lie to them.
Tell them the indexes were rebuilt and they will be happy. Speed increases do to index rebuilding in an OLTP system are only temporary. It is entirely possible that rebuilding index will hurt performance as the index blocks re-split due to inserts.

Oops, there I go, rehashing.

--
Jared Still
11+ years of trying to appear to know what I'm doing.