Re: Backups & different data retention requirements

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:14:19 -0500

Bob,

> > we want to ensure that any backups of Schema A are destroyed 90 days
> after that application > itself has been decommissioned and the schema
> purged.

 Wow, this is quite a different requirement from normal backups. Realistically how likely is it that an old backup would be recovered? You could just have a practice that said that an old backup would only be recovered on a test database and only the requested schema would be transferred to the production server. If the 90-day requirement is very rigid, then you probably have no choice but separate instances.  I would be more concerned that an overreaction to the possibility of accidentally retaining a former client's data would cause you to open some vulnerability in your backup strategy. I would recommend you design your backup strategy to protect your customers' data and make a reasonable effort to ensure former clients' data is destroyed.  Dennis Williams