RE: When to rebuild the index?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:07:58 -0700

Correct, if you are only doing selects on the table/index, the index should never need to be rebuilt, regardless of how many columns are indexed or how often you select them. Splits typically only happen during inserts, and sometimes during updates. I'd highly recommend you read some background info from the Oracle concepts guide on b-tree index structure, maintenance, etc. - then reread the index internals presentation for more detail. Start here:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c11schem.htm#3239