AQ Notification Callback in OCI

From: Edgar Chupit <chupit_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:41:40 +0300

Dear List,

We have business requirement to notify all application users regarding to the changes in one of the tables.

To implement this feature we've decided to use AQ Notification Callback in OCI. I have prepared small proof of concept application that uses dbms_aq.post function to post into an anonymous queue (DBMS_AQ.NAMESPACE_ANONYMOUS). As I understood from documentation and different notes (and confirmed it during tests), we don't need to create queue to use anonymous queue, because messages are passed directly to the EMN process via memory and this process sends messages directly to clients using tcp/ip protocol.

Our proof of concept application works fine and we are thinking about implementing this feature in our application, so I decided to check, maybe we are missing something.

My question is what was the purpose for creating this type of queues in Oracle? Has somebody used AQ Notification Callbacks? Maybe there are some kinds of hidden problems when using Notification Callbacks?

--
Best regards,
  Edgar Chupit