Re: Recovery through new DBID?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:15:57 -0700

Jeremiah Wilton wrote:
> I am aware of ways to recover a database through resetlogs. What if a
> large standby (or any recovery) must be recovered through the
> resetting of the primary's DBID, either using the DBNEWID (nid)
> utility, or other means? Can anyone think of a way to make the
> standby take on the correct DBID, short of patching datafile headers
> manually?
>
> Running nid on the standby just creates a different DBID from the
> primary.

You could probably pay Oracle Corp. to provide a one-off version of the NID utility that allows for the DBID to be user-specified, just like the DBNAME. Perhaps you are saving this for some future presentation at a user group, but why on earth would someone change the DBID of a primary (along with the subesquent required RESETLOGS) in the first place, and then, why would they not simply re-create the physical standby or perform a full backup, as clearly described in the documentation?

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com