HDDs for backups instead of TAPE drives ?

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:25:58 -0400

Does anyone use Hard Drives for offsite backups instead of tapes ?

We're discussing the idea internally, and I was wondering if anyone is doing this ?

The idea is to put copies of the standby database on the hard drives (and it's openable read only without any additional copying onr processing) and taking them offsite. Drives would be in drawers and plugged in/out to a hot plugable RAID controller. SATA drives probably.

Any concerns in terms of not been able to start the drive after the drive has not been working for 3-6 months ?

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Database/System Administrator