RE: 9i shared servers (dispatcher) hung

From: Yasin Baskan <yasbs_at_kocbank.com.tr>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:15:39 +0300

We had a case like this. After enabling the shared server, sessions begin to wait on themselves. dba_waiters shows that the waiting and the holding session id's are the same. We have an open tar for this, but they are requesting traces consistently, we are not able to enable the shared server on this live system because of the problem and we cannot reproduce the case on test systems so we are not able to update the tar. No solution so far.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gogala, Mladen Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:21 PM To: 'JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org'; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-db-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com; ORACLE-L_at_IC.SUNYSB.EDU; oracledba_at_LazyDBA.com; oracle-rdbms_at_yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: 9i shared servers (dispatcher) hung

Internal deadlock, possibly? Sounds like a situation for hanganalyze utility. There is a little article mentioning

hanganalyze at http://www.mgogala.com

--

Mladen Gogala

Ext. 121

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom [mailto:JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org] Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 1:44 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-db-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com; ORACLE-L_at_IC.SUNYSB.EDU; oracledba_at_LazyDBA.com; oracle-rdbms_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: 9i shared servers (dispatcher) hung

People could not connect via shared server - hung. So tried stopping the dispatchers and restarting them. I did:
alter system shutdown immediate 'D000' ; alter system shutdown immediate 'D001' ;

In alert log I see the following.
idle dispatcher 'D000' terminated, pid = (13, 1)

I do not see d001 stopping. If do a lsnrctl services it still shows d001.

If do:
ALTER SYSTEM SET DISPATCHERS=''(address=(host=10.20.7.11)(proto =tcp))(dispatchers=2)'';

Then lsnrctl services shows d000, d001 and d002.

I ended up bouncing the database. I had to do a shutdown abort since shutdown immediate hung - probably due to dispatcher d001 getting stuck. Any ideas on why a dispatcher would get stuck?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Bu mesaj ve onunla iletilen tum ekler gonderildigi kisi ya da kuruma ozel ve Bankalar Kanunu geregince, gizlilik yukumlulugu tasiyor olabilir. Bu mesaj, hicbir sekilde, herhangi bir amac icin cogaltilamaz, yayinlanamaz ve para karsiligi satilamaz; mesajin yetkili alicisi veya alicisina iletmekten sorumlu kisi degilseniz, mesaj icerigini ya da eklerini kopyalamayiniz, yayinlamayiniz, baska kisilere yonlendirmeyiniz ve mesaji gonderen kisiyi derhal uyararak bu mesaji siliniz. Bu mesajin iceriginde ya da eklerinde yer alan bilgilerin dogrulugu, butunlugu ve guncelligi Bankamiz tarafindan garanti edilmemektedir ve bilinen viruslere karsi kontrolleri yapilmis olarak yollanan mesajin sisteminizde yaratabilecegi zararlardan Bankamiz sorumlu tutulamaz.

This message and the files attached to it are under the privacy liability in accordance with the Banking Law and confidential to the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This message cannot be copied, disclosed or sold monetary consideration for any purpose. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you should not copy, distribute, disclose or forward the information that exists in the content and in the attachments of this message; please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. Our Bank does not warrant the accuracy, integrity and currency of the information transmitted with this message. This message has been detected for all known computer viruses thence our Bank is not liable for the occurrence of any system corruption caused by this message
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 01:16:59 CDT