RE: PART II: - Beyond a basic Oracle EXP/IMP shell script: Error Handling & Exit Status?

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:33:53 -0400

Ron,

>>typeset -i rc=`path_to_script [arg1 ...]`

I think I get it?
This line appears to retrieve RC to imp_wrapper.sh, from imp_script.sh and interrogate? But what (line/code) executes the imp_script.sh?...the same line?

PS If you solve this one for me too I going have to start referencing you in my shell script and crediting you in my status reports!  ;o)

Thanks,

Chris Marquez

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Marquez, Chris Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:11 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: PART II: - Beyond a basic Oracle EXP/IMP shell script: Error Handling & Exit Status?

In my original quest for help I was working with one script. (btw with you help/code I did complete this task...works well, thanks!)

Now I have a new problem that I do not know how to deal with. I have a wrapper script involved this time.

Something like this;

imp_wrapper.sh

#RUN THIS SCRIPT
script1.sh

#RUN THIS FUNCTION
do func1

#RUN THE IMP SCRIPT
imp_script.sh

#RUN THIS SCRIPT
script2.sh

#RUN THIS FUNCTION
do func2

# RETURN CODE: Set next Return Code.
RC=$?
echo 'RETURN CODE' >> $log_file 2>&1
echo $RC >> $log_file

My imp_script.sh has "trap" code and "RETURN CODE" syntax/value also in the script.

But I need to be able to STOP/EXIT/END the parent script; imp_wrapper.sh and set $?=1 when child scrip; imp_script.sh fails with RC=1?

Meaning if import.sh; RC=1, then I want imp_wrapper.sh; RC=1 immediately and exit?

This confuses me and I have no idea how to pass child (exit) RC to the parent script.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it from your system.