RE: New database releases - training dev staff

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:32:49 +0200

Hi Bob

> In the past, we've done some "brown bag" lunchtime sessions
> in a conference room, primarily DBAs giving brief (30min)
> sessions on new features, or cool tips/tricks with SQL or
> PL/SQL, the 10g recyclebin, and so forth, usually with senior
> development staff and dev team technical managers.

This is for sure a good way to do it. The main problem, IMHO, is that in the last years there are some dev stuff (e.g. OO, XML, Java,...) that the DBA simple doesn't master well enough for a correct know how transfer (it's almost impossible to really master all feature of the current versions...).

>Thoughts?

For this reason at Trivadis, the company for which I work, we provide "New Features for Developers" courses. For example in the next 3 weeks I'll be onsite by two companies to train a "whole" dev team. One of the main advantages is that we provide information not only on "how the feature should work", but also "how it works in reality" (e.g. it's buggy, stay away...).

Of course both "methods" have pro and cons. And here I stop the discussion because I'm probably biased ;-)

Regards,
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Zürich (11-Oct), Hamburg (13-Oct), München (20-Oct), Basel (25-Oct),

         Frankfurt (27-Oct), Bern (8-Nov), Düsseldorf (23-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)