RE: New database releases - training dev staff

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:46:25 -0400

Bob,

    In our shop I normally get the task of doing a power point on the new features that the developers will be interested in, things like the 10g recyclebin whenever we get to that, while keeping the DBA only stuff out. The presentations are scheduled for each group of developers we have & we have a few. Attendance is spotty, but that's the way it goes. The power Points are posted on out intranet home page for future reference. As far as dbms_crypto & utl_mail, etc... When I get wind of a need that could use these things I normally create a wrapper around them that the developers then use. As in the case of mail:

create or replace procedure vicor_mail(addressee in varchar2, subject in varchar2,

                                       message in varchar2, sender in
varchar2 default null) is
  c utl_smtp.connection;
  v_crlf VARCHAR2(2):= CHR(13)||CHR(10);
  v_msg varchar2(32767);
  v_add_src varchar2(2000);
  v_addr varchar2(40);

  msg_chunck varchar2(2000);
  mail_server varchar2(30);
  madr varchar2(100);
  slen number := 1;
  dmy number := 0;
  a number := 0;
  t number := 0;

begin
  select default_mail_server into mail_server   from oracle_server;
  c := utl_smtp.open_connection(mail_server);   utl_smtp.helo(c, mail_server);
  if(sender is not null) then
    madr := replace(sender,' ','_');
    utl_smtp.mail(c, madr);
  else utl_smtp.mail(c, 'Import<import_at_vicr.com>');   end if;
  v_add_src := replace(addressee,' ','_');   if(instr(addressee,',') = 0) then utl_smtp.rcpt(c, v_add_src);   else
    v_add_src := replace(addressee,' ','_')||',';     while(instr(v_add_src,',',slen) > 0) loop       v_addr := substr(v_add_src, slen, instr(substr(v_add_src, slen),',')-1);

      slen := slen+instr(substr(v_add_src, slen),',');
      utl_smtp.rcpt(c, v_addr);

    end loop;
  end if;
  utl_smtp.open_data(c);
  utl_smtp.write_data(c, 'SUBJECT: '||subject||utl_tcp.CRLF);   v_msg := utl_tcp.CRLF||replace(replace(message,' ',' '),' ',chr(10));
  if(length(v_msg) > 2000) then
     while(a < length(v_msg)) loop
       msg_chunck := substr(v_msg, a, 2000);
       a := a+length(msg_chunck);
       utl_smtp.write_data(c,msg_chunck);
     end loop;

  else utl_smtp.write_data(c, v_msg);
  end if;
  utl_smtp.close_data(c);
  utl_smtp.quit(c);
end;

The developer then uses the procedure vs. all of the other stuff. And yes this made it's was up from an earlier version of UTL_SMTP,

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Murching, Bob Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:34 AM To: 'Oracle Discussion List'
Subject: New database releases - training dev staff

Good morning!

I'd be interested to know how DBA groups elsewhere do knowledge transfer of new database features (from an application development perspective) to the staff who ultimately build applications against the databases you administer. Granted, these people may be pure developers, analysts or architects, app DBAs or something else from shop to shop, but eventually someone needs to decide whether to use dbms_crypto, utl_mail or whatnaught and that person needs to train others. What's worked, what hasn't?

In the past, we've done some "brown bag" lunchtime sessions in a conference room, primarily DBAs giving brief (30min) sessions on new features, or cool tips/tricks with SQL or PL/SQL, the 10g recyclebin, and so forth, usually with senior development staff and dev team technical managers. (It's fallen off a bit lately.) These have worked well although they've been a bit scattershot--unstructured and more of a volunteer effort.

Thoughts?

Bob