Re: Is there some free way to encrypt Oracle network data in Windows

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:22:56 -0400

On 8/30/05, Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us> wrote:

> I believe it requires the Advanced Security Option which I heard last
> was $10K per cpu - just to encrypt the data between the database server
> and the app on the network.

Paula,

There is alot more to "encryption" than just applying a key to a packet's payload to create cyphertext. Rather than have this get ugly, I'd suggest that you actually read up on this.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/network.101/b10772/toc.htm

There are concepts such as "authentication", "user rights", "data integrity", "key management" that need to be addressed as well as interoperability with vendors offerings.

I'm sure that an auditor would have a field day with a roll-your-own solution if the security of the data was truly important. I've worked around this in the past with a cross-over cable between app server and database server (network not reachable except via either host) and by putting the web/app/database server software on the same host and running everything on lo - neither of which scale particularly well.

hth.

Paul