Choosing data file size for a multi TB database?

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:32:33 -0400

How would you approach task of sizing data files for a project that will start with
a 1TB database but may relatively quickly grow to stabilize at around 10TB mark?

Obvious options are:

Neither of the above options look very desirable (to me at least). First option
might be bad choice with checkpointing in mind, but the second option is not the
winner if data files ever needs to be moved around. Anyway some initial choice must
be made, and all I'd like at this moment is not to give perilous initial advice...
(admission: once the "ball" starts rollin', this bastard ain't gonna be
mine:))

So from practical perspective - what would be the least troublesome choice?

Branimir

FYI I - OS platform is the darkest secret at this point, as is the hardware specs
(no-one can tell, early signs of "well communicated, well managed" project
are all
there)

FYI II - I've never had to deal with DBs much bigger than 100GB, thus the need for
"reality check"..