Re: Create controlfile for standby database

From: Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:48:41 -0400

Carel & Ric,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I am doing this on test environment as a POC - how to setup Physical standby database using 2 node RAC Primary and Standby.

Now I completely understood we don't need to worry about the consistency between datafile backup and control file backup while setting up standby DB.

Now I have another question....

When I was playing with switchover process I got into an issue as below... May be I have to double check whether I am missing anything.

Not sure why it is complaining about the existing Standby Logfiles and Redo Logfiles while switch Standby Into Primary.

SQL> select switchover_status from v$database;

SWITCHOVER_STATUS

TO PRIMARY     SQL> alter database commit to switchover to primary; alter database commit to switchover to primary *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '/u01/oradata/primary/sredo11.log'
ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file /u01/oradata/primary/sredo11.log
ORA-17500: ODM err:ODM ERROR V-41-4-17 File exists

*******REMOVED ALL STANDBY LOGFILES MANUALLY********** SQL> l
  1* alter database commit to switchover to primary SQL> /
alter database commit to switchover to primary *
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '/u01/oradata/primary/redo11.log'
ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file /u01/oradata/primary/redo11.log
ORA-17500: ODM err:ODM ERROR V-41-4-17 File exists

*******REMOVED ALL REDO LOGFILES MANUALLY**********   SQL> l
  1* alter database commit to switchover to primary SQL> /   Database altered.

Thanks again.
Sami