Re: Snapshot Logfile

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:31:01 +0200

Hi Paul,

Your solution is definitely a good step forward in ruling out role-specific namings in directories/SIDs/DB-names. I prefer not to use the %_file_name_convert parameters. As you wrote, it adds (some/a little) complexity to the setup. I personally prefer a symmetric setup.

I can imagine though that a setup according to your suggestion works out in some situations. IMHO, however, a symmetric setup is less error-prone, and more intuitive to me. The fact that I do not prefer it, doesn't mean it is wrong though! I think we are getting close to a matter of 'taste', in stead of 'good or wrong'.

It depends on the people involved, and the situation in the company. When both sites are managed by 1 or 2 DBA's, and maybe at a distance of 30 KM, (or less than 1 KM!), even EAST and WEST doesn't mean that much. Talking USA, east and west coast, and staff involved that might have never met each other is different.

The thing is, when I work in a symmetric setup, I don't have to care about anything in directory structures. I can use simple copy commands like 'scp -pr * otherhost:`pwd`', which will simply send everything from this directory to the equivalennt at the otherhost. I can even share (most of) my parameterfiles among both instances.

I don't use SPFILEs. I use 5 files in a OFA 'pfile' dir:

generic_<SID>.ora  - contains all parameters equal for each role
primary_<SID>.ora  - contains all primary-role specific parameters
standby_<SID>.ora - contains all standby-role specific parameters
init<SID>_p.ora - contains IFILE= lines for generic and primary init<SID>_s.ora - contains IFILE= lines for generic and standby

The init<SID>.ora no longer exists, neither the symlink in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. So, it is impossible to start the database without a pfile= option. The DBA has either to script the thing, or think what role he wants to activate. The script-set I implement at my customers' sites takes care of it all, of course.

The generic_<SID>.ora is identical on all sites, and can be copied to all sites easily after a change. The primary and standby files have some site-specific parameters, and cannot be replicated. No need to tell that this works very well in commandline based teams extremely well, and probably not as well at GUI-based sites.

When the server that hosts the standby hosts another database in a primary role (to make the costs of an 'idle' server more acceptable), one can move memory sizing parameters from the generic to the role-specific files, using different sizing depending on the role.

Not very much a strong advice in favor of or against your suggestion, but merely a soft opinion this time, however still hoping it helps,

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===