RE: Are you angry DBA?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:51:15 -0500

So if your devs want the DBA role in your production DBs, you give it to them???

If devs hurt the production DB bad enough, I have to fix it thru DB recovery. How then is it not the my job to force rules and restrictions? Granted, there is some leeway of grandfathered schemas/objects/code, but that comes from a lack of ROI (e.g. to remove a "potentially dangerous" priv from a schema like "DELETE ANY TABLE", there's no way I can ask the department to spend 6 months rewriting apps while our backlog grows for no discernable benefit to the company). But to blanketly say that it's not the DBA's job to enforce rules and restrictions is a lack of accountability at best.

My $.02,
Rich