optional remote LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n = SERVICE (SQL*Net) and RMAN backups???

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:44:39 -0400

I'm looking for good information about using "optional" remote LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n = SERVICE (SQL*Net) and RMAN backups.

A discussion with a member of this list concluded that RMAN will backup any/all arch logs configured with LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameters? Thus duplicating ARCH LOG's backed up (and dragging arch logs back over the network)?

I would believe this, but I have a REAL Oracle DG standby which used LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n = SERVICE and as far as I know I never saw any indication in the RMAN backup logs that any log on the remote LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n were ever backed up?

I know I could test this easily, but I'm busy that that is what you all are for.

;o)

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA