Re: problem installing 9.2.0.4 on red hat 3

From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:27:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

If my memory serves me correct I've had this problem before and from the debug output of
installer i realized it is looking for /oradata because of bug 3547724

As mentioned in
http://www.metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=184821.1

Workaround is
# mkdir /u04/oradata
# chmod 777 /u04/oradata
# ln -s /u04/oradata /oradata

HTH,
Fairlie Rego

Chris Stephens <cstephens16_at_gmail.com> wrote: maybe i could ask a more pointed question: any ideas on how to find the path that oracle is trying to write to when this message is generated?

On 8/28/05, Chris Stephens <cstephens16_at_gmail.com> wrote:We just got a brand new linux machine. I successfully intalled 10.2. When i try to install the 9.2.0.4 i get the following error:

"Error: You do not have sufficient privileges to write to the specified path in component Database Configuration Assistant 9.2.0.1.0. Installation cannot continue for this component"

...this pops up as soon as the installation begins. It gives me the option of stopping the installation of this component or the entire installation. When I skip the component, everything else seems to install fine. ....only dbca does not exist and i can't create a database (of course i could manually but i'd rather not go that route).

...if i then attempt to de-install the new 9i software the installer aborts and gives some none specific error that occurs outside of the vm.

i saw on the otn linux forum that someone ran into this same problem but there weren't any solutions given. has anyone here run into this?

thanks for any help.

chris

Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant
Optus Telecommunications
www.optus.com.au
Mobile: +61 4 02 792 405
Home: +61 2 8920 0273

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.