Re: [Q] How RMAN restore control file from tape?

From: Stalin <stalinsk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:06:14 -0700

Hi,

In 9i, RMAN sets autobackup off as well device type to disk by default. since you got to restore from tape, you have to either allocate channel of type sbt or change the default device type to sbt to do any restores.

In your case, i'd do

rman target /
set dbid <dbid>
startup nomount;
run
{
allocate channel ch1_tape type sbt;
set controlfile autobackup format for device type sbt to 'path_to_controlfile/%F'; -- i assume you haven't changed controlfile format. otherwise, replace %F with custom format. restore controlfile from autobackup;
alter database mount;
restore database;
recover database;
release channel ch1_tape;
}
alter database open resetlogs;
exit;

Note : Startup nomount will always list oracle's default RMAN configuration. you don't get to see any customized configuration unless you mount the database from the controlfile.

Regards,
Stalin