Re: Patch 9.2.07 for Linux

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:55:01 +1000

Kevin Closson apparently said,on my timestamp of 27/08/2005 3:05 AM:

> Where Oracle is going wrong is in saying they have a
> volume manager, when in fact it is just a more robust
> way to handle the CONTENTS of their files.

Yup, got it. It certainly ain't the full kit, that's for sure. I do believe they'll have to make it go all the way eventually, if they want to keep high level disk management affordable. Let's face it: Veritas is not the cheapest solution out there and it all adds to the TCO...

> Let's see. I'll try to get one of our Oil and Gas
> companies with >150TB (ter-a-bytes) flat file data
> (manipulated with mmap()) interested in ASM. Yep.

Akshally, speaking of TB flat files I heard this week of a J2EE "design" with MySQL that applied total denormalization to their schema so they never had to do another of those "pesky, inefficient relational joins". Never mind that these suckers are now writing/reading three orders of magnitude more data to their MySQL database (yes of course they STILL use a db, one wanders: *why bother*?!): according to them, now they can "scale".

They only been developing this "brilliant" design for the last 2 years and nothing has reached production yet. No wonder...

Howzat for "flat files"? :)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto