Re: Critical Qs on materialized views

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 01:34:26 +0100

Hi Tim,

Interesting, I wish I had known that last week. :)

I'm in the midst of rebuilding a rather large table to claim back ~200g of space from it.

The table in question has a unique index, but no PK.

The workaround was easy: add a primary key constraint to the table, a 2 second operation with a unique index in place.

I think it would be interesting to rerun the prototype though without the PK and with QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY = STALE_TOLERATED

Thanks,

Jared

On 8/26/05, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote:

> ENFORCED constraints are used by MV refresh only for the purpose of
> guarding
> against "staleness" as specified by the default setting of the parameter
> QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY to the value of "ENFORCED".
>
> Setting QUERY_REWRITE_INTEGRITY to the value of "STALE_TOLERATED" (i.e.
> Functionality disabled) will do what you want. Just be sure to understand
> the implications of this setting (i.e. DBA becomes responsible for
> ensuring
> that MV is never "stale" for query rewrite).
>

> on 8/26/05 5:17 AM, VIVEK_SHARMA at VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com wrote:
>

> > Thomas, folks
> >
> > Is there some way of Avoiding creation of Constraint on Source/Master
> > table while using Materlialized view refresh?
> > NOTE - Production Database does NOT have any constraints & is of 600 GB
> >
> > Creation of constraints on Source/Master DB Tables would be very time
> > consuming, if attempted.
> >
> > Thanks indeed for the info.

Jared Still