Re: Table growth - disk sizing

From: Ranko Mosic <ranko.mosic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:57:01 -0400

Thanks Mark. I agree - there is no way to get realistic workload simulation. I can see this is growing into nice ease-into-the-weekend topic.  What all experts here are saying is that there is no way to calculate/estimate future storage requirement for new systems, before they actually start to be used.

I am using fully loaded system ( data migrated from legacy ) as baseline. I can also get more or less accurate expected numbers of transactions from business. I can not get realistic workload though. I have application code and access to development team - so we know what tables will be growing the most ( baseline can also serve as guide ).
It certainly is not scientific way but I guess it is better than nothing.

rm.