RE: Table growth - disk sizing

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:52:18 -0400

What I was trying to tell you is that the goal of your project can be qualified as BS. You are trying to predict the future based on number of transactions, instead of the historical growth information, like everybody else. That will not work. Allow me to jovially suggest coin toss, tea leaves, position of the stars or entrails of Oracle sales people as the next best methods.
The only reliable extrapolation is linear approximation, based on historical

data. Even this gives you only short time reliability. Everything else is BS.

--

Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121