Re: Critical Qs on materialized views

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:35:40 -0500

When you create your materialized view use the "with rowid" phrase to base fast refreshes off of the master table's rowids rather than its primary key (which you've already stated doesn't exist):

create materialized view mv
  refresh force with rowid as
  select * from master_table;

Of course, to do fast refreshes you'll still need to create materialized view logs on the master tables to record changes. You'll need to specify "with rowid" when you create these as well:

create materialized view log on master_table with rowid;

I hope this is what you were asking for.

> Thomas, folks
>
> Is there some way of Avoiding creation of Constraint on Source/Master
> table while using Materlialized view refresh?
> NOTE - Production Database does NOT have any constraints & is of 600 GB
>
> Creation of constraints on Source/Master DB Tables would be very time
> consuming, if attempted.
>
> Thanks indeed for the info.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator