RE: Critical Qs on materialized views

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:50:31 +0530

We need to create the Materlialized view on PRE-Built Table WITHOUT adding a Constraint to the Master/source Table. This is needed because the Production (LIVE) Database(Master/Source) has NO existing constraints & creating the same on the large 600 GB production Database's tables would be nearly impossible.

NOTE - We are getting the following Errors when attempting to create a Materlialized view on PRE-Built Table WITHOUT adding a Constraint to the

Master/source Table:-

SQL> create materialized view d1 BUILD IMMEDIATE 2 refresh complete as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja; refresh complete as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja
*

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-12014: table 'D1' does not contain a primary key constraint SQL> create materialized view d1 BUILD IMMEDIATE refresh complete with rowid
2 as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja ;
as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja
*

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object SQL> create materialized view d1 on prebuilt table refresh complete with rowid
2 as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja;
as select * from d1_at_S829mig_teja
*

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-12058: materialized view cannot use prebuilt table

Give Command with respective syntax, if possible.

Another basic question - When a constraint is created does it automatically create an internal underlying index on the respective table?

Thanks indeed