RE: Different Oracle patchlevels between primary and (physical) s tandby

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:25:56 -0700

Andre,

If you are using a shared SAN, you can do this server switch very easily without even using a standby. Outside of configuring the new server (with OS, OS patches, backup, swap, os config, etc), all you will need to do is set the right zones, make sure that only one server (old or new) sees the disks at any point of time. The upgrade can then be done later once the new server stabilizes.... We have done this many a time with no issues - downtime is brief when the old server is shutdown and the new server is brought up with the old filesystems.... (This is not to take away Carel's usual and excellent advice though!)

Cheers,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc