RE: Patch 9.2.07 for Linux

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:26:45 -0700

> I agree with you. Not to mention that some of the new "features"
they have added are things I don't need right now. So why go to a new release just to fight through the bugs for a software release that might be troublesome for features I currently don't need?

Once upon a time, Oracle implemented features that customers wanted and needed. And quite often through the 90s, features were implemented to play catch-up to
the other Unix databases notably Sybase stored procedures, Informix online backup/restore, Informix 4GL, etc. And of course the big catch-up,
TPC-C compliant isolation in 7.3 (most are not old and crusty enough to know that Oracle could not comply with the TPC-C spec until 7.3).

Most of the new architectural features in 10g are features Oracle Corp needs you to have. The difference is not subtle.

Understanding the whole situation is important for IT shops. I think most
IT shops are too overworked to ascertain the impact (strategic and tactical)
to their IT future for blindly adopting and "implementing" features that Oracle
needs you to use ...more than you want, or perhaps need to use.

With Sybase,Ingres,Informix,Progress,Unify dead and gone, do you think there is enough competition to keep things honest?

Oh, hold it, Ingres r3 is an open source shared-disk clustered database. hmmmm...here we all thought MySQL was the only alternative.

PS. I wish UDB would have been begat of the Mainframe DB2 source in its inception...too bad it was a ground up shared-nothing project targeted at SP2 MPP...I digress....badly I suppose...

PPS. anyone remember Oracle's predictions of MPP killing the SMP ? :-)