RE: Patch 9.2.07 for Linux

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:27:01 -0400

Tom,
There must not be second opinion about your comment. "The quality of the stuff being release has slipped noticeably."

Dealing with Oracle products / databases since 1988, this slip is quite visible and doumentary evideance can be seen just after release of patchset under known bugs introduce by new patchset. 9206 was the worst example. Just after applying it all web based applications stopped working as they were not able to connect the database. It took me 5 days to get one dirty off patch to fix that issue.

Pete,
We always appreciate your input and participation on this list and hope for your complete recovery.
We have been expressing our concern through iTAR when we face problems after applying database patchsets which are now a days being released without proper testing.

Regards
Rafiq

From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us> Reply-To: Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us To: <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>, <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>,"oracle-l" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
Subject: RE: Patch 9.2.07 for Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:05:25 -0400

Pete,

I would hope that someone at Oracle would monitor this forum simply to see what people are complaining about.

I've said this in the past and I'll say it again.

The quality of the stuff being release has slipped noticeably. From Missing patch sets as Mladen has enlightened us about, to patch sets that corrupt the software installation, to Oracle Patch that does not work.

It's time for Oracle to focus less on rushing stuff to market that does not work and focus more on delivering quality software that works as advertised.

I don't expect a reply from you on this. I am not criticizing you personally at all. And I recognize that because you work, for Oracle, you may get some stuff directed at you that is simply dumb.

But I am hoping that Oracle takes notice that people are getting fed up with how they do "the business".

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Tuesday, 23 August 2005 1:39 PM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Patch 9.2.07 for Linux

I have just been hit by the bug 3083560 which will be fixed in Oracle 9.2.0.7, if
Oracle support is to be believed (and frequently, it is not). There was also a debate
about the qualities of Linux, despite its apparent shortcomings (no streams, no
reliable printing - CUPS is a joke, tuning kernel is a black art, not supported by
books similar to the Adrian Cockroft's, variables like like freelim, freegoal,
borrowlim and growlim don't exist and many other little things that I am reluctant
to start explaining to Linux aficionados) in which I mentioned the qualities of Linux.
I don't know who's fooling who, but Oracle is using Linux users as free beta testers.
Support sucks. I received a confidential email in June, informing me that 9.2.0.7
for Linux is "packaged and almost ready to ship". The person who wrote that email, a
member of this list, lied shamelessly. Patch was released for Solaris and Windows, both
32-bit, and for no other platform. The patchset was released on 7/21/05. What is
the deal with the other platforms? Is Oracle Corp. development too incompetent to
synchronize important patchsets? Do they need us to do some QA? WTF is going on?
I am really ticked off now that I've been awaken for the n-th time because of the wondrous
software quality of Oracle 9.2. Does anybody really know when Oracle plans to release
this patchset? What will it take to persuade them? The quality of the software recently
produced by the Oracle Corp. is beneath contempt, probably as a result of outsourcing to
Elbonia. There used to be Oracle person which participated in this list, Peter Sharman,
but he is not participating for a very long time. There are also few members of this list
which participate as private persons, under various nicknames. Is there anybody from Oracle to address this outrage and tell us about the plans for making
Oracle 9.2 as reliable as beta version of 7.3 used to be? Such haughty and condescending behavior used to be practiced by DEC. One of the companies
that I used to work for switched to PostgresSQL (Wang Trading). At the time, I thought
that Oracle is worth sticking with. Now, I am no longer that convinced. I believe its
the time to start learning MySQL. Oracle will inevitably go down if it continues behaving
like this. The mighty have fallen before. It seems to stimulate evolution. What Oracle needs
is a dose of intelligent design.

--

Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com