Re: Huge IOTs, issues?

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud_at_jcpenney.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:45:48 -0500

We use range-partitioned compressed IOT for a 400 GB table. We had issues with corruption in 8i (due to a race condition in updating the symbol table in the compressed block) and a bug fix resolved that issue. 10.1.0.4 has no such bugs and works great.

Statistics wise, I have seen no issues in 10g or 8i for IOTs. Access to this table is always with a leading column, so our design might be simplistic and we might not have encountered CBO bugs for IOTs ;-)

Not sure what maintenance you are referring to, but we don't do any "maintenance" per se on this table. We have a weekend process which nearly reorganizes the table (No, this is not a reorg, but an application process) and so leaf splitting issues you mentioned here might not be even an issue for us.

Thanks

Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA (ver 7.0 - 9i)
Allocation & Assortment planning systems JCPenney

Bill Coulam wrote:

>Who among you have used Oracle's IOT for really large tables (250-500GB+)?
>
>I use IOTs all the time for our small, reference tables, but this is a
>first for me with a table approaching a terabtye at certain clients.
>
>I had an issue with space management that a kind member of this list
>helped me through (turned out to be an index leaf-splitting problem).
>
>Other than that, have any of you encountered glaring bugs or subtle
>problems with large IOTs?
>
>We have a client that claims IOTs present problems in maintenance and
>gathering statistics. Unfortunately, no further details were provided.
>I just put that out in case it jogs your collective memory.
>
>Thanks!

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.