Re: remote server for log_archive_dest

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:48:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mark,

Be careful using fuser to determine if ARCH has finished archiving. We were seeing partially archived files being copied. When we did a truss on the ARCH process it was opening and closing the file a few times during the archival process and fuser happened to be hitting it during one of the intervening "closed but not finished" times. Polling V$ARCHIVED_LOG as you suggested was a more reliable way of determining which files had actually been fully archived.

This was on 8i on Solaris so things may have changed but I'd expect not - try tracing/trussing ARCH to check on your platform.

Charlotte

> Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
> 24/08/2005 17:01
> Please respond to makbo

> cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
> Subject: Re: remote server for
log_archive_dest

>For successful user-managed archived redo log
backups, you must
>duplicate two key features of automated log
transport:

>1) don't copy a file until it is completely written
and closed.

>2) copy those files, and only those files, which
haven't already been
>copied (due to network outages, target system down,
whatever).

>For item 1, you can query the database (SELECT
THREAD#,SEQUENCE#,NAME
>FROM V$ARCHIVED_LOG;) or, on most flavors of Unix,
the "fuser" command
>can determine whether a process currently has a file
open. (I am not
>aware of a "fuser" equivalent under Windows).
>
>For item 2, the rsync command works great, either
using ssh to a remote
>server (as described below) or on any network-mounted
filesystem. On
>Windows, the robocopy.exe utility duplicates most of
rsync's
>functionality but only with a mounted filesystem, not
a remote server.