RE: MultiMaster Replication

From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:37:31 -0700 (PDT)

Chris/List
let me try to explain the problem i'm trying to solve.

1. 2 systems  same structure intially but  software upgrade done  seperately might cause  structures not to be in sync.
2. uptime requirements  for one node but not the other might cause the fact that we lose the  master definition site(network connectivity) while the other  server is failed over to  a hot site.
3. there is transformation  happening  i.e sequences are different on both nodes.
4. the business does not want these system to be tightly coupled.
5. if the 2 systems are disconnected we  might need to change  information on any or both systems.

"Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org> wrote:

>>1....there needs to be a master definition site.
>>if the communication breaks between 2 sites
>>will we have to change the master definition site.

It is possible to change the "master definition site", but generally this would only be done of the original master definition site is "gone", "dead", "lost"...temporary loss of one multi-master site does not mean re-defining the master definition site...unless you need to do repadmin tasks that must be done for the (down) master definition site.

>>2...replicate sequences

I used local sequence on each side the would *not* collide buy using different START and INCREMENT values.

I liked Oracle Multi Master Replication for *simple* TABLE level replication where most or all transaction happen on one node...more than that and the admin of it (any transaction based replication) becomes painful.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA