RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:54:54 -0700

Thanks Jared, I'll do some more tests to see if I can figure out exactly what's going on. I suspect that the direct-insert is minimally logged as it says in the documentation, but perhaps there is still a signifcant amount from dictionary updates due to block splits and other recursive activity, and when you recover, the direct-inserted blocks are corrupt, but the select statement you ran for the regular (non-direct, logged) insert did not need to touch those corrupt blocks so it completed just fine - but if you forced a full index scan, you would see the corruption.

From: Jared Still [mailto: jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:46 PM
To: Hemant K Chitale
Cc: Allen, Brandon; cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

On 8/23/05, Hemant K Chitale < hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote:

Jared,

You ARE right. You really don't need to retest it.

Maybe not, but I want to.

Jared Still