RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a

From: Edward Lewis <eglewis_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:06:39 -0700

My understanding is the following :

If an object is created with direct load, append etc. with "nologging" enabled, then no "redo" will be generated for the initial "create".
After this though, all transactions are logged, and redo is generated. So, if a backup is performed all data is recoverable up to that point, and you will be able to do a recovery from that point on.

If the object is not created via a "direct load", then logging is performed, even when the "nologging" parameter is set.

Am I correct in my thinking ?

I did have any experience with LOBs where "nologging" was enabled on the LOB column, and I was unable to recover the changes from the last backup. Fortunately, I was able to recover the missing records from the exports, and I immediately enabled "logging".

        thanks.
                        ed

--

  Edward Lewis