Re: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

From: BobMetelsky <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:25:31 -0400

Hi Tom, I appreciate your response , my comments inline

> If you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode, you *always* have to backup
> your database daily to be able to recover it to when you backed it up -
> you do not get any recovery option other than that.

Yes, I understand that, I do weekly cold backups

> If you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode and you turn logging on, you
> must perform a backup immediately to be able to perform point in time
> reovery from that point forward.

Ok, at this point I have a cold backup which has objects created with NOLOGGING (even though the database was in NOARCHIVELOG),

   in other words these segments are "marked" in the dictionary as being created with LOGGING=N

Q? - from that point on - will recovery *ever* complain about corrupt blocks which were created *before" the backup?   Note the database is in NOARCHIVE, and at a time in the "future" will archiving turned on

Q? - How does the segment get marked/reset LOGGING= ? in the dictionary,or block header?
Im guessing this would be how the problem comes to haunt you. IOW this is how Oracle would "know" if the segment was affected by NOLOGGING, and I would think this needed to be reset somehow.

The original poster was surprised how long the problem stayed dormant , I'm thinking he must have done backups during that time frame....?

so, my mis understanding is with the dictionary / block header flags

My understanding or your reply is that the database can be rolled forward from the last backup, which is what I would expect. Although if I wanted to recover from point in time I would risk this situation of corrupt blocks.
Using NOLOGGING I could only roll forward from the last backup

Thanks
bob