RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:27:23 -0400

Bob,

If you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode, you *always* have to backup your database daily to be able to recover it to when you backed it up - you do not get any recovery option other than that.

If you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode and you turn logging on, you must perform a backup immediately to be able to perform point in time reovery from that point forward.

The CREATE TABLE/INDEX.. NOLOGGING option simply creates the object without producing redo log information. If you create an object in this way, you *have to* backup the database immediately afterward to be able to recover the object you created.

And to answer your question, if you create an object with NOLOGGING but then back the database up, it will be recovered if you restore the database to that point in time. The problem that started this topic was that a backup was taken of the database, an object was created with the NOLOGGING option, and then a restore was attempted. Since the NOLOGGING option did not create any REDO/Archivelog information, the object could not be restored and was left invalid.

So the lesson learned here is to either create an object in the normal way (with archiving enabled) or use the NOLOGGING option and always schedule a backup to protect what you just created.

Hope this helps.

Tom