Re: Java Virtual Machine on 10g, 10.1 and migration from 8.1.7.4

From: Robert Pegram <pegramrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:56:01 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin,

I'm not sure what problem you are facing, but I overlooked this in the patchset notes the first time I applied the 10.1.0.4 patch.

Upgrading Installations that use Java Virtual Machine or Oracle interMedia

If any of the databases use Java Virtual Machine (Java VM) or Oracle interMedia, install the Oracle Database 10g Products installation type from the Oracle Database 10g Companion CD before installing the 10.1.0.4 patch set. For information about installing the Oracle Database 10g Products installation type from the Companion CD, see the Oracle Database 10g Installation Guide or the Oracle Database 10g Companion CD Installation Guide. This installation type includes the Natively Compiled Java Libraries (NCOMP) files to improve Java performance. If you do not install the NCOMP files, the "ORA-29558:JAccelerator (NCOMP) not installed" error occurs when a database that uses Java VM is upgraded to the patch release.

HTH,
Rob Pegram