Re : How RMAN restore control file from tape?

From: Prem <premjhere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:26:13 +0530

Hi ,

Try to restore the control file by mentioning the backup piece to restore from.

RMAN> restore controlfile from 'e:\backup\CTL_SP_BAK_C-1507972899-20050124-00';

And then ....

Mount database
Restore database
Recover database
Open resetlogs
Add tempfiles

I have got a question reg. this scenario. Can someone clarify please ? When we say (in case of all control files lost) :

RMAN> set dbid 4026107299
RMAN> restore controlfile from autobackup;

>From where will RMAN come to know about the location of control file backup ?

Regards,
Prem.