RE: DB Movement from Sun to AIX ?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:57:52 -0700

"Firewire" is just the cable hardware -- not software.

Should have elaborated better, sorry...

What I did in the previously mentioned migration was present the external drives (physically connected via Firewire on my laptop) as NFS-mounted filesystems  on the target system.

Since you are converting platforms, you can't just copy the physical datafiles. So, I generated some scripts to use the Oracle "exp" utility to export (via UNIX named pipes) through the UNIX "compress" command to place compressed export "dumps" on the NFS file-systems. Yes, NFS is slow, but if you pass fewer bytes through it, then things go faster.

So, unloading the source database involved generating compressed export dumps down to NFS. Then, disconnect everything, travel to the location of the target database, reconnect everything, and use the Oracle "imp" utility to import from the compressed dump files from the NFS file-systems.

The database I last did this with was Oracle Apps R11.00, where the database itself (i.e. datafiles) sized around 400Gb. The compressed export dumps came to about 180Gb, which easily fit on a single Maxtor "OneTouch" Firewire external drive, which cost less than $200 at CompUSA.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:30:59 +0530, VIVEK_SHARMA wrote
> Tim, Raj
>
> Am unable to follow.
>
> Do you mean OS Copy Cold Datafiles from SUN to "firewire Drives" at
> source location & reverse Copy from "firewire Drives" to AIX at
> Target Location?
>
> Is firewire some new technology that allows the above?
>
> Some details please?
>
> Thanks so much

 for $300-$500 or so. Make it into NFS mounted
> volumes presented from a

 laptop. Copy files to it, pack up the
> laptop and the drive(s) and then just

 drive to the other facility,
> repeat process in reverse.
>
> Sound far-fetched? I did exactly this with a 200Gb "secret"
> government

 database last year, except I had to fly between data
> centers (won't explain

 almost getting cavity-searched at the
> airport for booking a one-way ticket on
 short notice!). Overall,
> this worked faster and better than all of the other
 more elaborate
> plans involving temporary T1 lines, rented/loaner storage
 arrays, etc...