Re: Link to RMAN alternate host restore

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:58:10 -0500

Ron,
  Production?? I assume this is a crisis.  You didn't mention your server. I'll assume Unix. The key is whether you can put the RMAN backup file to the same path where they were originally backed up to. In a pinch you can try creating a link for the original location. Do you have a copy of the control file taken after the backup? That will make it much easier. I'm assuming that you backed the database up to disk. RMAN will want to restore the data files to the original locations. If those locations are unavailable you can tell RMAN to use a different location for each file.  You only need the dbid if you are using a catalog. Two databases with the same dbid can't be registered in the same catalog.  Dennis Williams