RMAN Disk Based Backup

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:48:20 -0700

Perusing the Oracle 10g new features I see that Oracle has eliminated my objection to staging backups on disk.

Flash Backup and Recovery

This release supports automated, disk-based backup and recovery. The benefits include simplified and unified storage location for backups, archive logs, and any other files needed for Oracle recovery; automatic deletion of the files after they have been successfully backed up by the Recovery Manager (RMAN); the equivalent of a disk cache for tape, which reduces the time needed to restore a file from tape; and reduced risk of an out-of-space condition on disk, by deleting files that are no longer required for database recovery.

RMAN previously had no method to automatically retrieve files from a backup system that had been moved to tape after the initial backup to disk.

Has anyone here set this up and used it?

--

Jared Still

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sun Aug 21 2005 - 03:50:15 CDT