RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:55:05 -0400

Someone just replied to me directly and suggested that maybe the index is defined as;

     select OWNER, INDEX_NAME, LOGGING from dba_indexes where LOGGING='NO'

This seems logical except that I have done this many time before...creating indexes nologging and never (maybe incorrectly) changed the to logging after they completed building.

Maybe I need to take back about what I said about being comfortable with NOLOGGING option (I researched)?

*HOWEVER*, I regularly apply redo logs from and active PROD to a database with many indexes defined as LOGGING='NO' to a database I restored and recovered from an RMAN backup. I never have errors on the recovered database???

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA