Re: [Q] How RMAN restore control file from tape?

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:42:04 -0500

MCC,
>=RMAN-06172: no autobackup found or specified handle is
> >not a valid copy or piece

 Just a guess here, but it looks as if you didn't back up the control file. I see autobackup off in your listing. At this point I would guess your choices are to either start over again and take another backup, or to go take a backup of the control file, move it over, and try the restore again.  Recovery of RMAN from just the control file, yet without a control file, is tricky. Myself, I gave up and just always took a control file backup separately from RMAN after the RMAN backup, and ensured the control file was written to tape.
 Another point, you say you are extracting the backup from tape, yet all your listing mentions is tape. What gives?  Dennis Williams