RE: Problems retaining what I study

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:39:38 -0400

Thanks for bringing this up. I find it relates to (a) age, (b) the fact that I am managing ORACLE and SQL Server (i.e. do more with less), (c) the fact that I am also a mother to 2 boys (8 and 5) and have some stress, (d) manage fellow dba's).

-I think you should comment codes and scripts

-Use versioning software and add comments to the releases -

-I have been working on my group to document using Sharepoint which makes it easier for us to share build docs, restore/recovery docs....practice...practice...practice

-Talk to other people about the concepts in explaning it their questions will solidify it more in your mind. So many technicans make the mistake of working in a hole - not good, not healthy, not fun

What I find frustrating is I have forgotten things that years ago I knew flat because I haven't touched that part of the technology - bt I have gotten better at searches, at organizing my resources (books), urls organized as favorites, specific documents for my environment in sharepoint under specific folders.

So as more is required, information is always changing, you might do something today you won't do again for a while - organization is the key!!!!