Re: Store in one database column an array is a bad practice.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:00:04 -0700

IIRC there is nothing in the relational model that prohibits this.

Personally, I would call it a bad practice, simply because it makes my life more difficult and I don't like it. :)

It does complicate the SQL somewhat, though I can't at the moment recall how to query a varray.

If you have repeating groups of a varray, that would violate first normal form.

eg. address_array_1, address_array_2...

Likewise an array of arrays would also violate 1NF ( I think). It would also be ugly.

I'm sure Lex will jump in here and provide an insightful answer to this.

Jared

On 8/18/05, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think to store in one database column an array is a bad practice.
> for example store in one colmun the person name, age and professoin, is
> wrong,
> it should be another column and/or another table, when a multicolumn
> array is stored in a column.
>
> Including the fact some features are not available for this kind of store.
>
> Do you have a valid reason to do this?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Oracle Certified Profesional 9i 10g
> Orace Certified Professional Developer 6i
>
> 8 years of experience in Oracle 7,8i,9i,10g and developer 6i

Jared Still