Re: relinking a secondary Oracle installation

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:57:55 -0400

Robyn wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've just copied a set of Oracle executables to one of our production
>servers. I'll be changing the existing database to use these
>executables this weekend, but for now, I'd like to relink them to make
>sure I can.
>
>Can I safely execute a 'relink all' with an active database and
>listener if they are NOT using the executables I'm relinking? I'm
>pretty sure the answer is yes, but my sleep was cut short by the pager
>so I thought I'd verify before I do this. I'm even pretty sure I've
>done this before but my mind is playing tricks on me today so I could
>use a second opinion.

Robyn, you should trust your instincts and feel the force flowing through your venes. If there is an
active oracle instance using the same ORACLE_HOME then you cannot relink. If the instance(s)
is(are) using different oracle home, then there is no problem. Make sure that your variables aren't mixed.
You should check ORACLE_HOME,LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH. If something bad happens
and you mess up your company's most critical datanbase, you can always tell your boss to call me.
I'm used to being yelled at and your boss might have an unforgettable experience with me.
At the end, allow me to remind you of a great quote from the movie Animal House about trusting people:
You f*** up, you trusted us.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA