RE: Please help me get RMAN going with Tivoli

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:06:16 -0400

Yeah I did not want to be to harsh, but the reality was that about 3 years ago I was doing this config for 8i/9i. The IBM-Tivoli were really bad and/or wrong! Rather sad and frustrating when it is rather black and white regarding the config files. It took us about 10-14 day to get through the "confusions".

I wrote my own notes and just kept repeating the process for new servers. I never installed the TSM, TDPO stuff...just used it...the SA did that. The config was so complex that we would often have to re-debug on each new server. TAPE <- TSM <- TDPO <- RMAN <- TAPE-INTERFACE <- ORACLE

But that was only the beginning. Had to learn slowly and painfully that Tivoli knows nothing of a database backups, but sees "backups from a client"...nothing more. Oracle-RMAN sees "backups to a physical location"...nothing about what node/client *did* the backup.

These concept becomes extremely important in a RAC environment and/or when restoring to another node (another "client"....another "location"). You learn rather quickly when you try and *pull back* RAC arch logs that RMAN knows about, but belong to a different TSM-TDPO "client".

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA